Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Mint Chocolate Chip Cake

This cake sounded like a fabulous idea for my boyfriends Paramedic School Graduation because he loves anything mint chocolate chip. 
Things you need:
Cake mix (unless you want to follow the recipe and make it homemade)
Spring form pan
Ingredients for frosting (shown below)
FOR THE FROSTING:
1 cup butter, softened
8 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
1/2 cup milk plus 2 Tbsp
11 oz dark chocolate chunks (62%cacao) or mini chocolate chips
1/8 tsp green food coloring gel

However, I must say I did cheat on this recipe a little.  
Instead of making the chocolate cake from scratch I used a BOXED CAKE! Gasp!!! 
I got the moist chocolate cake by Betty Crocker

Works just the same and honestly I do not think it affected the taste of the cake as a whole at all.
I also didn't bake two layers of cake.  I did one big cake in a spring form pan and I was going to cut it in half depending on how much it rose but I ended up just leaving it in one piece. 

I also did not make the chocolate ganache.
I didn't really find it necessary, just too much chocolate. (I can't believe I just said that) 

So, if you do not buy a cake mix and you want to make that and the ganache the recipe for those can be found here...
http://megseverydayindulgence.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/chocolate-cake-with-mint-chocolate-chip-frosting-crazy-cooking-challenge/

If you are just making the frosting you can also find the instructions there.
Frosting can be tricky if you haven't made it before (I hadn't and it could of been thicker)
It is really all about eyeing it and checking the consistency of it as you go. 
You'll probably need more food coloring in the frosting than they say, because I did because it was not green enough.

All in all this cake was amazing! And I'm not a huge fan of the mint chocolate chip thing but I will definitely be making this again.
I made it my own and it was still fabulous!
Here is the final product...


Happy baking!
Always,
Mel =)


No comments:

Post a Comment